This is actually yam ice cream.
It’s your good ol’ mashed potatoes, gone wrong.
- Get a bag of purple potatoes from your supermarket, or backyard (if you grow them). Peel the skin off with a speed peeler. Be careful not to slice your skin off while you’re at it. I’m just saying. I didn’t slice my thumb.
- Boil them till soft in a pot of water on the stove. Marvel at the water turning into a deep teal colour.
- Once soft enough, drain and mash away.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush a pinch of dried thyme.
- Add the crushed thyme, to the mash, together with freshly ground sea salt, black pepper, a small knob of butter and cream or milk.
- Serve to puzzled yet excited guests.