Remember King’s Asparagus? We know from that meal that bacon and asparagus are a match made in heaven. Now, we’re gonna have it with pasta.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 streaks of smoked bacon, cut up into one-inch bits
- 3 large stalks of asparagus, sliced in half lengthways (Don’t be like me and forget to buy asparagus. I used dwarf beans instead. I am ashamed.)
- a quarter of a yellow pepper cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 handfuls of quick-cook penne
- 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- 1 small small knob of butter
- Cheddar, finely grated
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- sea salt, freshly ground
- black pepper, freshly ground
- chilli, minced (optional)
Here’s how you do it:
- Get the pasta cooking in a pot of boiling water.
- In a hot skillet with vegetable oil, toss in the bacon to render the fat out.
- Then, in goes the butter, garlic and asparagus.
- If you like spice, now’s the time to toss in the chilli.
- Fry till bacon browns and asparagus wilts slightly.
- Welcome the Aroma Fairies into your kitchen, they’ve missed you sorely.
- Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and mix it altogether in the skillet.
- Add more salt if necessary.
- Serve with an abundance of shaved Cheddar atop.