Stepping away from the usual white wine with mussels, here’s a recipe for mussels in a red wine tomato sauce: Mussels Provençal with Mushrooms and Jerusalem Artichokes
- Skin the Jerusalem artichokes and set them away to boil till soft.
- Mash or puree with some single cream and a small bit of butter.
Mussels Provençal with Mushrooms
- After all the routine jazz of discarding lousy mussels, steam the mussels in a generous splash of red wine, with minced red onions, on an open skillet. Let the overpowering flavour of the alcohol evaporate before adding the rest of the ingredients, and putting the lid on.
- When the alcohol has more or less evaporated, toss in chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, quartered mushrooms. Also, add in some tomato juice or diluted tomato puree mixture, then turn down the heat and put the lid on.
- Once the mixture has reduced, add in a knob of butter to finish the sauce.
Garnish with a pinch of fennel leaves.